200 Common English Phrases
Negative in a Sentence
1. Expressing “no”
- That, I take it, was a negative answer.
- They received a negative answer to their request.
- The negative reply dashed her spirits.
2. Not expecting good things
- He’s so negative.
- He has a negative attitude toward life.
- She’s so negative about everything!
- Why does he have such a negative attitude?
3. Bad or harmful
- The industry suffered negative growth in 1998.
- The new tax was having a very negative effect on home sales.
- We didn’t think there would be an enormous negative effect.
4. (of a medical test) showing that the patient does not have the disease
- A negative test result.
- The results of the test were negative.
- All the patients have tested negative for AIDS
5. (of a number or amount) less than zero
- Negative numbers.
- The product of two negative numbers is positive.
- Students often find it mysterious why multiplying two negative numbers.
A word or statement that expresses “no”
- He replied in the negative.
- Her answer was in the negative.
Reject; refuse to accept; veto.
- The bill was negatived by 160 votes to 152.
- Motions had been made, discussed, negatived.